9.15.11

I had a dream that my friend's boyfriend left her for me. I should've been stricken with remorse, set on denying the scum my love. But no, in my dream I just went with it, enjoying the attention, the conquest, of sorts. It was only AFTER I realized he couldn't marry me in the temple that I went to my friend, apologizing for any hurt feelings, swearing I never meant to betray her trust. I still woke up feeling both confident in my allure, and guilty for being such a crappy friend.

It's funny how dreams reveal truths about yourself. Not that I've ever stolen anyone's boyfriend, but I have done things I'm not proud of purely out of self-interest. Selfishness. Machiavelli was right in many ways: We are selfish beings bent on getting ahead by stepping on those around us. Sad but true. (The truth often is sad, isn't it?)

 Man is that way. The "natural man" anyway. A survivalist. A capitalist? But the natural man is not the ultimate. Not hardly. Oh if only Mr. Machiavelli had the gospel.

But then again, he might not be famous then, and his name is so fun to say. Eh, we win some, we lose some.

1 comment:

  1. I need to learn more about Machiavelli. I sometimes refer to him, but I really don't know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete