5.2.11

Osama bin Laden is dead. For a couple days now, actually. And other than wanting to be the first to tell people the news (on Sunday I was doing that), I don't know what else to say. Am I glad he's dead? Yeah. Just like I'm glad when rapists and murderers leave this world. Do I want to celebrate? No. Do I feel like this changed anything? Not really. He was one man, and although it is a victory for our country, it doesn't end terrorism. It doesn't bring back all those people who have died. Heck, it doesn't even change the fact that I have to get to the airport 2 hours early to go through security.

So I guess the reason I haven't said much of anything to anybody about this historic event is because I figure it is what it is. Things are going to continue forward as they always do. What really can you say about that? About the continuation of existence like it was continuing yesterday? It is what it is. Let's continue forward.

I know my opinion may seem too weak, too passive maybe. And I guess it is. What of it?

(Wanna know something kinda funny along the same lines? When I heard the news I thought, "Wow, really? I never thought this day would come. ... This is kinda anti-climatic." And then I thought about how this'll be my attitude when I get married: "Wow, I never thought this day would come. ... How anti-climatic.")

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I had many of the same thoughts as you did. Except for the one about when you get married. I don't think that will be the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny girl. I am glad you shared your opinion. I have been a bit annoyed by the news about Bin Laden's death. I think, and I'm pretty sure he was a bad guy, but should we really celebrate and rejoice over anyone's death? A timely death and a Mormon funeral is one thing, but this is entirely different and I'm a bit offended. Thanks for sharing and backing me up a bit.

    ReplyDelete