1.2.11

You know what I've wanted to do but never have? (Or at least I don't think I have. My memory isn't what it used to be. Or rather, what it should have been when I say 'used to be,' because my memory has always been a bit shaky.) Did you guess? Well, I'll tell you. I want to do one of those spiffy, "Year in Review" posts. I'm not sure anyone, reading any blog (not just mine) gives a darn about what another person has done over the course of the past year (hence why Christmas letters get thrown away without being read all the way to the end) but I want to do it anyway. So, here it goes.

A Year in Review: 2010
By Elizabeth Gosney


In January I resolved not to make any resolutions. I did make some spaghetti sauce, however, and took every opportunity to use my then-new camera. I discovered "Glee" and "The Weepies" and tried to remember a time without their amazing music in my life, while simultaneously trying to make music myself on a newly purchased guitar.





In February I wrote a lot. Mostly for my creative writing class. That was a very fulfilling and liberating time. Thomas and I ate-and-ran at the Phi Kappa Phi banquet. Seriously, you think we were gonna stay for a bunch of bore-you-to-tears speeches by a bunch of wrinkled academics? Ha.


March was full of poetry. I discovered I'm not too horrible at it, but I like reading others' stuff more. Sarah and I visited Grace, Idaho, including a geyser and a natural spring. I interviewed for an internship at Church Magazines but was rejected.



Now, April, that was an eventful month. I decided to intern at LDS Living Magazine. I was hired as the news editor for The Daily Universe. Thomas and I took a spur of the moment trip down to Monument Valley. I bought a car and sold my scooter. I graduated from college and my parents came to visit ME. Yeah, me. That was awesome.







Then came May, during which time I fully intended to live with three great girls during the spring, summer, fall and winter, although plans later changed [see July]. I got settled in as news editor and plugged away at LDS Living, trying to get used to phone interviews. My sweet Grandpa Dick passed away at the end of May, which brought a myriad of feelings that only death can.



June was the month of travel. It began with a drive down to California for my grandpa's funeral. Bitter-sweet, it was. Four days after getting back, I flew up to Washington for one of my best friend's wedding. I was the photographer. Yikes, pressure. I hung out a lot with another best friend, Stevie. Great times in Seattle. Straight from there I went to Texas for a visit with my family (including taking family photos for siblings). I began contemplating moving down to Texas instead of staying in Provo, but that decision wasn't made concrete until ...








... July, as I realized I needed a change of scenery. I also finished a homeschooling article for LDS Living Magazine that would, when published in September, cause an uproar amongst home school families in Utah and beyond, as witnessed by angry comments on the good ol' Internet. Thomas and I discovered a beautiful meadow up in South Fork Canyon. I bought a Kodak Play Sport video camera. Thomas and I joined a intramural softball team and I got thoroughly scraped up. I interviewed for yet another Church publication (Welfare Department) and, yet again, was rejected.


[Video of James. Click here.]


August, ah, August. I managed to finish my hours for my internship (barely) and write a half-baked paper to complete my college undergraduate career. I visited the grave of my great-great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth Mathews. Sarah, Kyle and I went to Park City to try the Alpine slide. I packed up my stuff, getting rid of half my possessions in order to fit everything in my car before heading down to Texas. Thomas and I drove for 22 + hours over two days to get there. I developed a case of  suppressed anxiety that manifested itself in a strange heart murmur. OK, so I don't know what caused it, but my heart was acting weird, and my brain was overwhelmed by "the future."






In September I worked a lot at the mall, same place Cath works, selling over-priced sunglasses. I took pictures of Kelsey and Ben's kids and Kathy came to visit. I applied for a job back in Provo on the recommendation of a friend, more out of curiosity than anything else. After an interview, several tests and an offer, I accepted the job. Not at all in the plan. So I once again began packing and planning.



Oh, October. Deon and her boys came to visit right before I left Texas (perfect going-away present). Dad and I drove more than 16 hours to get to Monument Valley from Denton and got to spend less than 12 hours with Devon and Sarah's family (not nearly enough time, obviously). We visited Bluff, a tiny town my great-great-great grandfather and grandmother helped establish. I surprised my best friend and old roommate with the news I had moved back to Provo by showing up at a Divine Comedy performance she was going to. I lived at Gabe and Anna's for a few weeks, found an apartment in Provo, started my job at the Daily Herald, missed my Texas family like crazy, carved pumpkins with Kyle, took a lot of pictures on my solitary drives up the canyon and realized amidst all the hard stuff, life was (and is) really, really good.










November was uneventful, which was a tender mercy, really, after all the commotion. I worked a lot, climbed the Y on a whim, got lots of pictures via txt from Ben and Catherine (yay unlimited txting!), did lots of things -- from cleaning to movies -- with Anna, worked on Thanksgiving, but also got to eat the traditional meal with my brother's family as well as later with some cousins, aunt, uncle, etc., and took Thomas to lunch for his birthday (complete with cupcake and candle!)






Last, but by all means not least, December. My nephew Hayden was baptized by my dad. Dad and I went to a BYU basketball game. I turned 23 and celebrated by going to Red Robin with some friends. I made a goal to participate in the Rex Lee Run 5k in March. The Provo Tabernacle burned down. I flew down to Texas and spent Christmas with my family there (and my grandma who came from California).








Whew, that took me longer than I expected. I'm sure I forgot some crucial things, but I'm gonna say it's good for now. And good because it gave me the chance to reflect on how blessed I am and how not-boring my life is, actually. (I often have that thought, that my life is so dull compared to others').

And even if my life was dull (which, as already established, it isn't), I have the gospel. And that makes life worthwhile, regardless of where I live, where I travel or work, who I know, what I can do, and so on. The Savior lives. The Atonement is real. We are part of the Plan of Salvation that promises we can live with our families and with God for eternity.

So if for no other reason, life is good because of that.

2010 was a good year. I'm excited to see what future years bring.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are too riskay for the church. Great post though. I read all but the last few sentences...that's pretty good eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that all? Just kidding. I can't do a year review because it would be the same thing every month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As corny as it sounds, you make other people's life "un-dull". Thanks. You are a great woman.

    ReplyDelete