12.10.10

I grow more grateful every day for the body I have. Not just that I have a body, but that I have the body I have. Oh sure, there are things I'd like to change, but the beauty of it is, they all seem to be things within my control to change, if I will just buckle down and do the things I know I should.

I feel really good about life. Really good. About all of it. And I'm not sure where this mounting confidence has come from, but it's amazing. I used the see the faults in my appearance -- from a pudgy stomach to a crooked smile. But lately, I look in the mirror and see good things. "You're hair is looking mighty fine today, Elizabeth. And that shirt? Well, you wear it so well." (Yes, I do talk to myself.) I've heard "motivational speakers" and the-like, recommend to people (especially women, who are so apt to degrade themselves) to look in the mirror every morning and point out three good things and ignore the negative. That's great advice. But I didn't take it. Not consciously, at least. For some odd reason, I just started seeing the good. Out of nowhere. It really does baffle me, actually, because I can't track the source. Was it getting a big-kid job? Was it graduating from college? Was it the fall weather? Was it that new CD I bought? Seriously, I can't figure it out. I'm just hoping it doesn't go away, because I wouldn't know where to start finding it again.

I'm grateful I have a body of flesh and blood. I'm grateful for the flaws that encourage me to improve. I'm grateful my Heavenly Father trusted me enough to send me to earth and use this body, these feet, these hands, this mind and mouth, to do His will.

One thing that did occurr to me while pondering the source of this new-found confidence a few weeks back was the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. It's not that I just received his companionship, but I have become more aware of it. Prophets and scripture have said that the Holy Ghost brings joy, peace, confidence and a desire to do good. Well, that's exactly how I feel.

So I guess I did find the source.

Why has it come with such force lately? Maybe it's being able to go to the temple more often. Or resolving to improve areas of my life that I've just skirted by with "acceptable" results before. And, I guess I'm growing up. Growing up seems to bring with it more responsibility, more trials and more heartache, but it also seems to bring clarity of mind, better perspective and a realization of the truly important.

No, I'm not saying I'm awesome. I'm just saying I'm understanding more how to become awesome. You know, like Moroni awesome. Or my grandparents awesome. You know what I mean.


"A strong testimony gives peace, comfort, and assurance. It generates the conviction that as the teachings of the Savior are consistently obeyed, life will be beautiful, the future secure, and there will be capacity to overcome the challenges that cross our path." 
--Elder Richard G. Scott 

1 comment:

  1. What about "Big sister Kelsey Awesome." That might be a while off, but you are on the right track. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete