6.28.10

This time, it will be different.

I've heard the saying before. That age-old quotation that the grass is always greener on the other side. It flashes across my mind in Helvetica type every time I decide to make a life-altering decision. A decision that lets me escape the life I'm in by hoping to obtain a life I wish I had. I pretend it all will change. That I will change. And often I sincerely believe it. Often it's not pretend that when I move apartments, move cities, cut my hair, get a new job, quit an old job, that the grass really will be a deeper shade of emerald. I say to the future, "From now on, I will be different. I will be the girl I've always wanted to be. I will have the life I've always wanted. This time, it will be different."

I talk to the future as if it's a person. I argue with it, I plead with it. I beg the future to follow my plan. Instead, I follow it, always looking to the future for change, for difference, for the green I can never seem to grasp.

One day, it really will be different.

©2010 E. Gosney

2 comments:

  1. It's not just you. Everyone hopes for a different tomorrow...until one day you look back and think wow, I'd like to go back to yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete