9.18.08

I never really thought much about it before, but tonight I realized how true it is: Being a mom is so cool! Not that I'm a mom, or an expecting mom, or even married. But I was taking care of Kelsey and Ben's kids for a little more than an hour tonight alone, getting them in their pj's and brushing their teeth. It was fun! I loved being "the adult" and enforcing the rules, but making them laugh at the same time. I'm so used to be "the cool aunt" (i know that's what they call me, don't lie) and just playing around with them, but tonight I felt almost like a parent.
Well, now that I think more about it, this isn't the first time I've done something contrary to my cool-auntness. I've held a screaming baby till she fell asleep, changed diapers, put toddlers in time-out, and even made a snack or two for some hungry youngster. The difference tonight, though, was my mentality. Before I was just a babysitter or a helper to the parent. Tonight I was going solo; I let my mind wander into the future, thinking about when I'll be married and have little kids of my own. I imagined how satisfying it would be to have healthy and happy babies with my last name, with my blood, with my nose and my laugh. I've always wanted kids, 5 or 6 I think, but tonight I actually got excited to have kids.
This may seem silly to some, you know, for me to be telling you all this. But I think it's an example of how I'm growing up. I'm leaving petty, pointless and immature things behind. I'm becoming more focused on what's important in the long-run, on what will help those around me and not just myself. At least that's what I'm trying to do. I also need to work on my volume and choice of words. Some things just aren't as funny as they seem in my head, including calling someone on TV, "idiot" or getting all worked up and loud over a game. I'm slowly taking on attributes of my mom, where's she's witty and soft-spoken and would rather not be competitive. And that's ok with me. Actually, that's great with me.

Being the off-spring of Terry and Carrie Gosney, I inherited several less than desirable traits. Including "big bones" and the Roberts' behind. But shoot, I inherited so many totally awesome traits that trump any hips or thick fingers! For example, I received skills in art, English and wit from my mom, as well as a great example of patience and selflessness. I received athletitism, science/math comprehension and leadership/public speaking skills from my dad. Well, there's tons of other stuff, but this is just a short synopsis for you all to enjoy. ;o)

3 comments:

  1. You can put my kids to bed anytime. Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog. I think mom's forget to mention all the awesome things that come with being a mom. I know I forget sometimes what a wonderful calling it is. THanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good with your words. This is awsome.

    ReplyDelete